YOU don't have to invest a big chunk of money to earn extra. With just some baking know-how, simple ingredients and a little effort you can create delicious and easy-to-prepare goodies right from your own kitchen.
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Sticks takes inspiration from churros and is sure to become a favorite snack. Who can argue with the drawing power of muffins? Top it with pistachio or bake it with strawberry chips and you have two surefire big sellers. If you want something fancier, try your hand at baking scones. These favorite treats from the British can be served plain or in this case, filled with custard and topped with caramelized lemon rind. For packaging, we suggest mini burlap sack and fancy carton box with see-through cover. Now, that's something anyone would buy.
For more biz recipe ideas, log on to www.themayakitchen.com.
SWEET POTATO CINNAMON STICKS
1 pack Maya Oven Toaster Banana Cake Mix 230 g
1 1/3 cups boiled sweet potato, mashed
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
1. In a bowl, mix together banana mix, sweet potato, milk and vanilla. Mix until blended. The batter will be heavy.
2. Transfer sweet potato mixture into a piping bag with a star decorating design tip.
3. Heat oil for frying, when hot, pipe out the sweet potato mixture directly into the oil. Using a clean pair of scissors, cut piped strips into desired length, fry until golden brown, pat dry with paper towel to remove excess oil.
4. To prepare sugar coating: Combine sugar and cinnamon powder until well blended. Roll potato sticks in cinnamon sugar until fully coated. Serve hot.
Yield: 24 sticks
PISTACHIO MARBLED MUFFINS
1 package MAYA Original Fluffy n' Tasty Hotcake Mix 200g
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts
1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven at 375°F. Grease and line one 6-holes (3oz) muffin pan. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, prepare hotcake mix according to package direction.
3. Get 1/4 part of the hotcake batter then add cocoa powder to make chocolate hotcake batter mixture blend. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Pour the remaining 3/4 part plain hotcake batter equally into prepared muffin tins. Drop a tablespoon of chocolate hotcake batter mixture on top of plain batter on each muffin then using a knife swirl the batter to create a marbling effect. Prepare toppings.
5. Combine pistachio nuts with sugar then sprinkle some on muffins. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done or toppings may also be used as filling. Simply incorporate on the plain hotcake mixture before baking if desired.
Yield: 6 pieces
STRAWBERRY CHIP MUFFIN
1 package MAYA Oven Toaster Butter Cake Mix 200g
1/4 cup butter
2 pieces eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup chocolate strawberry chips
1. Preheat oven at 350°F. Grease and line one 12-holes (3oz) muffin pan. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, cream butter then add eggs, milk and cake mix.
3. Mix in the strawberry chips until well blended.
4. Pour 1/4 cup batter in each muffin hole and bake for 10-15 minutes or until done.
Yield: 9 pieces
SULTANA SCONES W/ LEMON CURD
3 cups MAYA all Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup seedless sultana
1 piece egg
3/4 cup butter milk (combined 1 cup fresh milk + 1 tablespoon Lemon juice)
2 tablespoons evaporated milk (for brushing)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup juice of 1 lemon
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 pieces eggs
Caramelized orange rind
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease and line a cookie sheet. Set aside.
2. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl then stir in sugar until well combined.
3. Cut in butter into a flour mixture until it resembles bread crumbs. Blend in sultana.
4. Make a well in the center of the crumbled mixture.
5. Slightly beat egg then add buttermilk and pour into a well. Stir in flour mixture into the liquid with a fork until well blended.
6. Form the dough into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly until well blended.
7. Roll dough into 3/4-inch thick round. Using a floured 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter and cut out as many rounds as possible then place in a prepared cookie sheet at least 1-inch apart.
8. Brush top of scones with a little milk and bake for 15 minutes or until risen and golden brown. Remove and cool in a wire rack. Set aside. Prepare lemon curd.
9. Combine the lemon rind, lemon juice, butter, sugar and salt in a heat proof bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir gently until butter melts. Whisk in the eggs into the butter mixture over low heat until mixture thickens. Do not allow to boil to prevent mixture from curdling. Chill before serving. Split each baked scone into two and fill with lemon curd.
10. To assemble: Decorate top of scones with whipped cream and caramelized orange rind
Yield: 6 pieces