AFTER two incidents involving a falling post that killed and injured some individuals in a span of 10 days, Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama will issue a last warning to utility firms to remove rotten posts and spaghetti wires.
Rama, who was in Manila yesterday, said he will meet with representatives of the telecommunications companies tomorrow when he gets back to the City to discuss the matter.
They will also discuss City Ordinance 1894, which regulates dangling wires.
He said utility firms should fix the problem and remove rotting and old poles to prevent accidents.
Last week, a 13-year-old boy was killed and two young girls were injured when a post fell on MacArthur Blvd. in Barangay Tinago.
Because of the incident, Tinago Barangay Captain Joel Garganera ordered an inventory of all power and telecommunications posts with dangling wires in his area.
Dilapidated posts were also included in the inventory.
That way, they can determine how many rotting poles are due for removal, Garganera said.
In another incident last Saturday, two women were also injured after a boom truck snagged a dangling wire, causing a post to fall on Cebu Veterans’ Drive in Barangay Apas.
The driver reportedly forgot to lower the boom that resulted to the incident, prompting the mayor to direct utility firms to remind their contractors to practice safety while repairing defective poles.
As a rule, he said, the driver should have a companion to serve as his lookout while going through the streets.
Rama said whoever owns the post should shoulder the hospitalization expenses of the victims.
He said they should stop finger-pointing.