A CITY councilor has passed an ordinance banning the use of staple wires in sealing packages, especially on food.

Councilor Juan Sia, chairperson of the committee on trade and industry, said the ordinance would prohibit the use of staple wires in sealing the products bought in pharmacies, grocery stores, restaurants and other establishments.

Post your reaction to the Manila hostage crisis

Sia filed the ordinance after learning that a little boy in Manila swallowed a staple wire while eating a “taho” recently. The boy had reportedly undergone operation.

“I will not allow this incident to happen in Cagayan de Oro or in other parts of the country especially to children. It is very dangerous when a staple wire or any foreign object will be swallowed,” Sia said.

With this, he encouraged the public to take precautionary measures to avoid such similar incident.

“If this ordinance will be approved, any establishment that will continue to use staple wires will be reprimanded,” Sia said. (Nicole J. Managbanag)