MANILA – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) in the National Capital Region said it was able to conduct a successful barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan as it expects winning candidates to be proclaimed Tuesday.

Lawyer Michael Dioneda, Comelec-NCR regional director, told Sun.Star that all the 1,705 barangays in the metropolis have started counting the votes and others have advanced to the canvassing stage.

“Based on field reports, majority of the precincts started and closed the voting on time, that’s why we others are in the canvassing stage already. With the way things are going, I think proclamation will happen only for the big barangays on Tuesday. We don’t see any problems so far in the process,” he said.

Comelec records showed that 4,808 candidates are gunning for the post of barangay chairman while 40,132 are slugging it out for a council seat.

The youth elections, however, attracted lesser candidates with only 3,890 teenagers aged 15 to 17 vying for SK chairmanships while 19,619 wanted a seat in the council. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)