MANILA--A human rights alliance on Friday chided a military spokesman after doubting the credibility of the “Morong 43” health workers, who recently filed a P15-million damage suit against their former captors.

In the latest verbal tussle between contending parties, Army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Antonio Parlade said Wednesday the military will use the court proceedings to prove that the 43 were indeed members of the New People’s Army (NPA).

“This is not a case to prove whether they are NPA or not. This is a case to claim damages for the violation of their rights, which is a fact already recognized when the government dropped the charges against them,” Karapatan spokesperson Jigs Clamor told Sun.Star.

He reiterated that the health workers, who were detained for 10 months last year, have been illegally searched, detained, tortured, denied counsel, robbed of belongings and experienced trauma due to inhumane practices of soldiers.

“Even the five held by the military in Camp Capinpin (Tanay, Rizal) had earlier executed affidavits attesting to these,” Clamor said, referring to the five members of the “Morong 43” who admitted they were part of the NPA. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)