MANILA -- A petition filed by Deputy Ombudsman Emilio Gonzalez III with the Supreme Court to block his dismissal was not sanctioned by the Office of the Ombudsman, its spokesman said Tuesday.

In a text message to Sun.Star, Assistant Ombudsman Jose de Jesus said the petition "is a personal action of DO Emilio Gonzalez and his counsel."

"Neither the Office nor the Ombudsman herself had anything to do with it," he said.

Gonzalez was ordered dismissed by the Office of the President earlier this month over his alleged negligence in the case of dismissed policeman Rolando Mendoza.

Mendoza held hostage a busload of Hong Kong tourists in August 2010 demanding his reinstatement into the Philippine National Police.

He was killed along with eight tourists when a rescue attempt by Manila police went awry. (Jonathan de Santos/Sunnex)