SECTIONS
Thursday, May 23, 2019

Master plan needed for Athletic Bowl

THE ongoing rehabilitation of the Athletic Bowl is seen to meet Olympic standards.

But without any master development plan being followed, some of the improvements may be destroyed to give way to future construction if needed.

The city-owned sports facility is currently finishing phase two improvements, which include the continuation of the unfinished bleachers, repairs of the old drainage system, and the highly anticipated installation of rubber tracks.

These developments, according to a supervisor of RUA Construction, are far off from the standards when it comes to Olympics.

Site supervisor Pepe Felipe added that without having enough and sustainable budget, the improvements will cost the City more in reaching its target to develop the facility with the approval of national sports organizations.

Felipe said there should have been a master plan designed and followed before improvements have been plotted earlier this year.

“We don’t mean to interfere or dip our hands on the decision made by the local government or the DPWH but if we suggest maybe some of the scheduled improvements should not completed until such that the concerned offices or agencies will come up with a better plan for this area,” Felipe said.

One of the given suggestions is to postpone the installation of rubber tracks until such time budget for leveling and rip rapping certain areas are made.

“If we notice along the cemented pavement of this oval, masyado ng malapit sa unlevelled ground or kailangan pang gawan ng riprap yung lugar. If the rubber tracks will be installed, yung mga lupa or we say putik will stream pabalik sa certain area na iyon,” said Felipe, pertaining to the areas from the old smaller bleachers extending to the open grounds near the swimming pool.

“We are not sure if the DPWH have considered the possible situation but it was already opened by the inspectors and representatives from the Philippine Sports Commission who are also working together with them to ensure the proper criterions are met,” he added.

Felipe said RUA Construction will only be accountable to the improvements of the bleachers, drainage, and running oval during the phase two improvements.

Meanwhile, DPWH-Baguio said it is doing its best to stay close to the standards provided by the PSC inspectors.

It said it is already working on the project design for the facility’s phase three improvements that are projected to start early in 2016.

Earlier, DPWH announced its national office has requested for another P50 million to be realigned from their 2016 National Appropriations Fund. (Mark Victor Pasagoy)
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!