SECTIONS
Monday, May 20, 2019

Puentevella hopes Bacolod Arena to proceed after Fiba hosting loss

BACOLOD City Mayor Monico Puentevella said he’s hoping that the construction of the Bacolod Arena will push through despite the country’s setback in hosting the 2019 Fiba World Cup of Basketball.

“The loss to China was painful, particularly to Bacolod, because if we won, we will be building an arena starting next year or 2017. For that purpose we will be one of the cities aside from Cebu set to host the event,” he said.

“There was already an arrangement. A businessman already promised to build an arena within the city’s property,” the mayor said.

He added: “If you notice, one of the advantages of China is that they presented eight cities to host the Fiba tournament while the Philippines have only the Philippine Arena (Bulacan), Araneta Coliseum (Quezon City), MOA (Pasay City), Cebu, and Bacolod.”

“We have to do more. We have to create more arenas because we are left by China in infrastructure,” Puentevella said.

“Praises to SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan for his effort to try bring Fiba World Cup hosting in the country,” said Puentevella, who joined the Philippine delegation during the Fiba hosting bid in Tokyo, Japan last week. (HGD)

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!