A COMPLAINT of murder was filed against a police official in Bogo City, Cebu yesterday for allegedly shooting to death his daughter’s boyfriend.
Bogo City Police Station Chief Anthony Bagarinao told Sun.Star Cebu the initial complaint of homicide was changed to murder because of witnesses’ accounts.
“Naa’y nakadungog nila nga nihangyo kuno ni ang bata pero gipusil gihapon niya (Somebody heard the boy pleading for his life but the policeman went ahead and shot him),” he said, referring to Chief Insp. Ceferino Tabay Jr.
Last Sunday, five minors issued affidavits that Tabay did not shoot Montesclaros out of self-defense.
Without the autopsy result, Bagarinao said they still lodged the case at Bogo City Prosecutor’s Office because they already have a post-mortem examination from the hospital.
“Mas maayo unta gyud ang autopsy pero ang pamilya kay di man magpatabang sa pulis (The family doesn’t want police assistance),” he said.
The Cebu Provincial Board (PB) requested Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) Chief Patrocinio Comendador to conduct a “thorough and impartial” investigation on the
In a resolution sponsored by PB Member Joven Mondigo, the PB said the case deserves a “speedy, extensive and objective investigation by the CPPO.”
But the family of Vincent Paul Montesclaros, 17, sought the help of National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7 for an autopsy and a parallel investigation.
“Girespeto ra sad namo sila. Siguro wala lang sila’y salig sa pulis (We respect their decision. Maybe they don’t trust the police),” Bagarinao said.
The NBI 7 said it is willing to help in investigating the killing.
“We will come in and initiate a formal and thorough investigation the moment the family requests us,” said NBI 7 Director Antonio Pagatpat.
Pagatpat said that if the police had already conducted an autopsy on the victim, they will not conduct another one if “there is no compelling reason” to do so.
In an interview, Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 Director Marcelo Garbo Jr. said the incident can affect the image of the Philippine National Police (PNP).
“But we are still investigating this and we couldn’t determine yet who is at fault,” he said.
Garbo had directed the CPPO to investigate the case and they are now waiting for the result.
In an earlier interview with Sun.Star Cebu, Tabay said he was only protecting his daughter Natasha Faye, 16, after he saw her bleeding in the nose.
Vincent allegedly hit his daughter’s face during a fight at 3 p.m. last Friday in Don Potenciano Catarata Memorial National High School, located 150 meters from the police official’s house.
“Dili ko makasulti nga siya’y sad-an. Dili sad ko makaingon nga akoa ra pud ‘to (I
can’t say if he’s to blame. I can’t also say it was all my fault),” Tabay said.