DAVAO City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte finally ended all speculations today, September 7, on his political plans as he announced he would not seek the position of President in the 2016 elections.
"I'm sorry to all of you, I will retire after my term as a mayor of Davao City," Duterte said.
[READ: Duterte has important announcement Monday]
He said that, after consulting with his family, he will not seek reelection or any elective position during the polls next year. Duterte made the announcement in a press conference set for letting the public know of his decision.
Here are some reactions on social media:
Duterte said he will endorse his daughter and former mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio for the mayoral post in 2016.
With Duterte’s decision, those who have announced their presidential aspirations, so far, are Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II and Vice President Jejomar Binay. Senator Grace Poe is reportedly also considering running for the country’s top post.
Several groups have called on Duterte to run for President as they said he could battle crime and impose discipline in the country.
Duterte earlier said his children - former mayor Sara Z. Duterte-Carpio, incumbent Vice Mayor Paolo Z. Duterte, and businessman Sebastian Z. Duterte - seem out to seek elected positions and he does not want to be accused of having a dynasty.
But supporters of Duterte are still hoping that their presidential bet will file his certificate of candidacy for presidency until the last minute.
Kapitan Mar Masanguid, Leader of Duterte for President Movement, is still hopeful saying, "Knowing Mayor Duterte, this is not his final say. Pinapakalma nya lang ang sitwasyon, because of this mas lalo lang tataas ang clamor ng supporters. This will not be his final decision, let's wait for it." (Sun.Star Davao)