DAVAO – A military official has denied the reported involvement of four US servicemen in a bar fight in Davao City last Sunday.
Major Jake Obligado, of the Civil Military Operations Battalion of the 10th Infantry Division (10th ID), said he is visiting American soldiers in Davao City and none of the US soldiers have been involved in a bar fight.
Obligado said that several troops came to Davao City since last week for a recreation. He said the American soldiers are participating in a joint activity with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in Cotabato.
Obligado said he was with some friends at the Eagles Bar of Marco Polo Hotel on Saturday evening and they noticed a group of four Caucasians who were already drunk and rowdy.
He said the four are not US servicemen, adding that they could be the same foreigners who figured in a bar fight along Obrero early Sunday.
The bar fight resulted after four foreigners, who many locals believed were US servicemen, bullied somebody and poked a dirty finger.
About 20 bystanders allegedly mobbed the four foreigners. Among those who joined the melee was said to be a local politician.
The incident was not recorded at the Davao City Police Office; however, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte confirmed the incident saying he was informed by a colleague who happened to witness the incident.
Duterte refused to divulge details of the incident saying that he was not there when it happened.
Obligado said he just wanted to clarify the issue as the US officers he is in constant contact with are concerned with the report.