CAGAYAN DE ORO (Updated) -- A radio blocktimer was shot dead in front of CAP building at Sayre Highway in Poblacion, Valencia City in Bukidnon province around 9:30 p.m. Friday, November 29.
The victim was identified as Joas Dignos, a radio blocktimer of DxGT Radyo Abante in Maramag town, Bukidnon. He was shot in the head.
Joash Dignos had been receiving death threats before the 22 bullets were pumped into his head, chest and other parts of his body by four unidentified men.
Dignos had a drinking spree at his friend’s store in Purok 17, barangay Poblacion in Sayre Highway in Valencia City. His Pajero was parked in front of the store.
He excused and pissed at the back part of his car when suddenly two armed men shot him. He ran heading to the front of his car but another two gunmen riddled his body with bullets.
Jonah Balandra, a colleague of Dignos at DxGT Radyo Abante based in Maramag town, narrated Dignos’ fate in an interview at Bombo Radyo noontime Saturday.
Dignos was radio blocktimer of DxGT. His program “Bombardeyo” aired from 7:30 to 8:30 in the morning from Monday to Friday.
He was last heard on air morning on Thursday, November 28. He tackled the issue against the son-in-law of Valencia City Mayor Jose M. Galario, who is the city administrator of Valencia.
“He was discussing something on financial matters,” Balandra said.
Dignos was a known critic of Galario.
When asked who he works for in his block time, Balandra said Dignos had many sponsors.
In 2006, Dignos earned the ire of Mayor Jose M. Galario Jr. who ordered the closure of Valencia City-based DXVR, one of RMN’s stations.
The mayor said he padlocked the station, because it has no business permit, but clarified he meant to stop only the commercial and commentary programs of the station. He complained then that his side was not being heard and accused Dignos of using press freedom as a front to attack him.
Dignos was quoted in reports to have vowed to file administrative charges against Galario for allegedly threatening to kill him.
In 2003, Galario also ordered the padlocking of DXMV.
On June 26, 2013, an explosion rocked radio station DxGT that wounded a 21-year old working student.
Two men riding a motorcycle lobbed a grenade at DxGT while a replay of Dignos' recorded program was playing.
DxGT Radyo Abante is an affiliate of the Iddes Broadcast Group, Inc.
Earlier, Cocoy Medina, DxGT Program Director, told National Union of Journalists in the Philippines (NUJP) Dignos had been taping his program at that time since he started receiving death threats on his cell phone.
The NUJP said the motive for the killing has yet to be established.
If work-related, Digos would be the 19th work-related case of media killing under the administration of President Benigno Aquino III.