THE members of Lirazan family express sorrow over the death of their 18-month-old boy who died when a stray bullet hit his head at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 last December 20, 2013.

The family members were all hit by stray bullets, but only 18-month-old Phil Thomas Estoesta wasn’t able to escape from the incident.

Marie Ann Lirazan, mother of Estoesta, said: "It's so painful to come home with a dead son in a wooden box."

The family arrived at the Bacolod-Silay Airport late Tuesday afternoon.

Danny Uy, brother-in-law of Marie Ann, said they have no plans on how to celebrate the New Year.

“It's so sad. We cannot stop the pains. How I wish we can suspend the New Year, but I guess we have no choice but to welcome it," he said.

The eight members of the Lirazan and the Uy families returned to Bacolod with the body of Phil Thomas, whose wake is being held at St. Peter's Funeral Homes.

The boy will be laid to rest on January 4, Saturday, at Santuario de Bacolod.

During their arrival at the airport, the members of the Lirazan and Uy families were met by Bacolod City Representative Evelio Leonardia.

Marie Ann will undergo a surgery in her fractured left hand in two weeks.

Her 58-year-old mother Amalia Lirazan, 58, was wounded on the back while her niece Dianne, 3, daughter of Danny, was also hit on the head. Both are now recovering.

The Lirazans, who are from Barangay Mansilingan, flew to Manila for a vacation. Dianne was supposed to undergo an operation.

While they were coming out of NAIA Terminal 3, they were hit by stray bullets from the guns fired by motorcycle-riding men who killed Labangan, Zamboanga del Sur Mayor Ukol Talumpa and his wife, Lea, and their nephew Salipudin Talumpa.


Both Marie Ann and Danny thanked Leonardia for extending assistance to them.

Leonardia also coordinated the assistance they received from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, which facilitated the hospital treatment of Marie Ann, Dianne, and Amalia.

Dianne underwent operation for her head injury.

"Despite what happened, we are thankful that we were able to come home through the help of relatives and friends," said Marie Ann, who disclosed that the NAIA administration shouldered their plane tickets.

"To Congressman Leonardia, thank you very much for looking after us while we were in Manila. Thank you for helping us with PCSO and for providing vehicles for us to and from the airports in Manila and in Negros," Marie Ann and Danny said.

Danny added: "Despite what happened, God is so good."

Marie Ann said they leave it to God to give justice to her son, but she is hoping that justice will be served soon with the arrest of the perpetrators.