THE Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) does not see any stumbling block to the proposal to ban firecrackers amid the increasing number of injured revelers stemming from the New Year celebration.

Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said Sunday there will be no displacement of workers if firecrackers are banned in the country since there is another option for manufacturers.

“Hindi naman mawawala ang employment because what will be produced will be firecrackers that do not explode… more on fireworks na lang,” said Baldoz.

But just to be sure, the labor chief said the Bureau of Working Condition (BWC) and the Occupational Safety Health Center (OHSC) are already studying the impact of the ban on employment.

“The study could be out within the week,” said Baldoz in a text message.

The high number of injuries has already spurred calls from the DOH and Malacañang for a total firecracker ban in the country and a selective ban on fireworks.

However, some sectors have reservations on the proposal saying it could result in massive job displacement.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health (DOH) spokesperson Eric Tayag said they will release on Monday the final report on the total number of firecracker-related injuries during the holiday season.

A total of 962 revelry-related injuries were recorded as of Saturday, surpassing the 931 cases tallied from December 21, 2012 to January 5, 2013.

Some of the injuries were caused by stray bullets, which led to the death of a three-month-old baby in Ilocos Sur and a two-year-old child in Ilocos Norte.

Vice President Jejomar Binay urged the courts to ensure the speedy trial of cases so that victims of indiscriminate gun firing could be given justice.

"I am confident that the Supreme Court will take the needed steps to ensure the speedy trial of those involved in these shooting incidents. The victims are civilians, among them helpless children," he said.

Binay cited the case of Nicole Ella, a seven-year old girl who was also the victim of a New Year's eve shooting last year.

"Until now, she has not been given justice," he said. (HDT/Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)