NINETY-FOUR boxes of spotty-face anchovy believed to have been caught through dynamite fishing were seized by the Cebu Provincial Anti-Illegal Fishing Task Force in Barangay Poblacion, Liloan yesterday.

The team headed by Capitol Chief Security Loy Madrigal intercepted three Isuzu Elf trucks around 3 a.m.

The first truck, with a GXS-655 plate, was loaded with 32 boxes of spotty-face anchovy and was apprehended at 3:05 a.m.

Based on the task force’s spot report, it was owned by a certain Enrique Borromeo.

The truck was driven by Jimmy Saladaga from Barangay Bakhawan, Daanbantayan, together with Epifania Saplad from Gibitngil, Medellin and Rosellier Sanoyao of Mahawak, Medellin.

Ten minutes later, the second truck, with plate number GXS-654, arrived, loaded with 30 boxes of the said fish.

It was also owned by Borromeo.

The driver was Teofisto Dulba Jr. Together with him were Alfreda Lape and Vincee Illut who are both from Barangay Kawit, Medellin.

After 10 minutes passed, the third truck was intercepted with 32 boxes of spotty-face anchovy. It allegedly belonged to Herbert Mipague.

The driver was Gary Dela Cruz and accompanied by Eduardo Barro and Vicente Mongaya. The three of them are residents of Barangay Mahawak.

Madrigal said the boxes of fish were taken from a port in Mahawak.

He said each box has 40 kilos and has a market price of P1,000 to P1,200.

Based on the result of examination of the provincial fish examiner, all the confiscated fishes were caught through dynamite fishing.

The trucks were impounded at the Capitol compound.

The illegally caught fishes were distributed to the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center, Sisters of Mary Boystown in Minglanilla and fire victims in Barangay Carreta.

Madrigal said violators will have to pay the fine of P5,000 per kilo.

Few days ago, the task force also intercepted 268 boxes of illegally caught fish from two fishing boats.

One boat was owned by a private contractor, Engr. Romeo Villaceran.

The two fishing boats were using active gear and sonar while fishing within the municipal waters in the northern part of Cebu, violating a provincial ordinance.