THE Cebu Provincial Meet set on Jan. 21 to 26 has been moved to Jan. 26 to 31 to give the students and teachers of the Province of Cebu who are participating in today’s Sinulog grand parade more time to rest.

Mayor Democrito “Aljon” Diamante of Tuburan, Cebu, president of the League of Municipal Mayors in the Philippines (LMP) Cebu chapter, said the league passed a resolution requesting Gov. Hilario Davide III to defer the provincial meet.

The provincial meet was supposed to be held late last year, but LMP-Cebu requested Department of Education (DepEd) 7 Director Carmelita Dulangon to move the sports event this month because of the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit the provinces of Cebu and Bohol last Oct. 15 and the Nov. 8 super typhoon Yolanda that battered the Visayas.

The provincial meet was moved to Jan. 21 to 26.

However, the LMP-Cebu realized the tedious preparation needed for the Sinulog, especially during the Sinulog sa Kabataan-Lalawigan last Jan. 11.

The league held a meeting last Jan. 6 where they unanimously agreed to defer the provincial meet and rescheduled this to Feb. 21-26.

LMP-Cebu cited that the local government units need adequate preparations, especially in making the budget appropriation.

The other LMP Cebu officials who voted to pass the resolution were Mayors Teresa Alegado of Consolacion, Mariano Martinez of San Remegio, Augusto Corro of Daanbantayan, Ronald Allan Sesante of Dalaguete, Marilyn Wenceslao of Santander, Liza Marie Durano-Streegan of Sogod,

Adelino Sitoy of Cordova and Teresito Marinas of Barili.

The DepEd and the Provincial Capitol approved the request to reschedule the sports event but set the dates on Jan. 26 to 31 instead of the proposed Feb. 21 to 26.

The provincial meet on Jan. 26 to 31 will be hosted by the local government units Argao and Dalaguete, Diamante said.