THE Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) opened the expanded Iloilo Diversion Bridge to traffic on Monday afternoon, January 20, as part of its multi-million peso road widening project.
DPWH Regional Director Edilberto Tayao said the bridge is being expanded into a four-lane passage, and the left lane, worth P88 million, has been completed. The right lane, including the underpass project, will be completed within this year.
On the other hand, the widening of service lanes of the diversion road from junction Jalandoni to El 98 in Jaro district will be completed by Friday, January 24, in time for the Dinagyang Festival.
Tayao said the service lanes are part of the P300-million road widening project along the Benigno Aquino Avenue, popularly known as the diversion road. The road span will be widened up to the Iloilo international airport in Cabatuan town.
Meanwhile, Panay Electric Company (Peco) is set to remove and transfer the remaining 15 electrical posts by Tuesday, January 21, along the widened diversion road, said General Manager Randy Pastolero.
More than 20 posts were already transferred, he added.
The DPWH earlier declared that no posts for Peco wires and telecommunication cable wires will remain standing at the center aisle of the diversion road.
Peco assured that there is no problem on power supply even during the Dinagayang Festival.
Pastolero said the telcos will have to provide their own posts, as Peco will not anymore allow the use of their own electric posts by other users.
He said that so far, underground facilities and cables are not yet in place along the diversion road except at the Megaworld business park.