BACOLOD City Election Registrar Mavil Majarucon-Sia said Monday she has received a copy of the petition filed by the convenors of the creation of Barangay Paglaum seeking nullification of the result of the plebiscite involving 10 precincts.
Marucon-Sia said Rogelio Leeping, Joshue Repeque, May Medel and Emma Orsal filed the petition against Mansilingan village chief Leonardo Suansing, and councilmen Paul Catalan, Panoy Aghaw, and Boy Pico.
The petitioners pushed for the nullification of the plebiscite due to low voter turnout amid a bad weather and also due to reported massive vote-buying.
Majarucon-Sia had earlier said that a low voter turnout is not a ground or basis for the nullification of a result of the electoral process.
Last January 11, voters from Mansilingan who participated in the historic plebiscite rejected the proposal to create a separate and distinct Barangay Paglaum.
The “No” garnered a total of 2,987 votes while the “Yes” mustered only 2,582 votes or a difference of 405 votes.
Of the 17,581 registered voters of Barangay Mansilingan, only 5,589 or 32 percent voted.
Majarucion-Sia had also noted that the 32 percent voter turnout last Saturday is already high compared to the standards of the conduct of a plebiscite.
Gemeno Ymballa, legal counsel of the pro-Barangay Paglaum group, had approached the members of the Board of Canvassers led by Majarucon-Sia during the height of the canvassing to raise an issue.
The election officer said Ymballa pointed out irregularities during the conduct of the plebiscite.