THE Supreme Court has affirmed the conviction of a bus driver who ran over and killed two motorcycle riders and injured a passenger in San Fernando, Cebu in 2002.
The SC Second Division upheld the decision of the Court of Appeals, which found Sunrays bus driver Celestino Bastismos guilty of reckless imprudence.
“The prosecution firmly established that petitioner Bastismo is guilty beyond reasonable doubt of reckless imprudence by hitting the motorcycle in front of the passenger bus he was driving,” read the SC notice signed by Ma. Lourdes Perfecto, the division clerk of court.
Motorcycle driver Hope Segindio, 20, of Linao, Talisay City, died on the spot while passenger Genalyn Deliarte, 19, credit investigator and collector of L and R Lending Investor in Mandaue City, died on the way to the hospital last Dec. 6, 2002.
Another passenger, Rosalyn Deliarte, 24, of Subangdaku, Mandaue City, escaped death but suffered a broken leg and injuries in the face and body.
Police investigators said that Bastismos, 32, of Lambihod, Argao town was following Segindio’s motorcycle, which had slowed down while overtaking a multicab.
Bastismos, too, intended to overtake the multicab, but the motorcycle suddenly stopped.
The bus driver stepped on the brake, but the sudden application caused it to malfunction, and the bus ran over the motorcycle and its riders.
“Had the hitting of the victim’s vehicle been intentional, the act would constitute a grave felony,” the SC said.
It ordered the bus driver jailed for four months to two years.
Sun.Star has yet to confirm if the driver had been detained or out on bail all these years.