CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- The Department of Labor and Employment Central Luzon Office (Dole) is targeting more than 18,000 students and out-of-school youth across the region for enrollment in its Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) in 2014, starting in summer this year.
Dole-3 Regional Director Raymundo Agravante said that 18,352 poor but deserving students and out-of-school youth will be immersed or exposed to the workplace with an employment period that will last from 20 to 52 working days and will receive salaries based on the prevailing minimum and applicable wage rates in the region.
An estimated 367 employers -- composed of 255 private firms -- 99 local government units, through their Public Employment Service Offices, and 13 schools in Central Luzon will participate in this year's SPES, said Agravante.
Technical Support and Services Division for Employment and Welfare head Nely Punzalan added that a budget of more than P44 million has been earmarked for SPES 2014.
"A budget of P44,083,487 representing government’s 40 percent share for the wages for students, was allotted by the regional office in this year’s SPES implementation. The remaining 60 percent of salaries of the students, on the other hand, will be shouldered by participating companies and local government units," Punzalan said.
The province of Aurora will get P2,640,000 for 1,221 slots; Bataan P13,392,000 for 6,134 slots; Bulacan P5,523,840 for 1,800 slots; Nueva Ecija P4,752,000 for 1,500 slots; Pampanga P9,432,192 for 3,676 slots; Tarlac P2,160,070 for 717 slots; and Zambales P6,183,385 for 3,304 slots.
This year’s SPES marks its 22nd implementation since its inception in 1992 under Republic Act No. 7323, otherwise known as "The act to help poor but deserving students to pursue their education by encouraging them to work during summer vacation, Christmas vacation, or any time of the year."