A BRITISH national who owns a dive shop and resort in Malapascua Island, Daanbantayan was shot and killed by his security guard during an argument on Black Saturday.

Anthony Gilchrist, 34, of England died from multiple gunshot wounds in his head and body, police said.

The shooting took place at 7:40 p.m. inside Fish Buddies Dive Shop Resort after

Melchor Alciso Jr., 42, got irked when he was allegedly scolded by Gilchrist for reporting late for work.

PO3 Alfredo Mandal, chief investigator of Daanbantayan Police Station, said resort employees heard the two arguing and Gilchrist reportedly told Alciso to resign.

“Go away and leave,” Gilchrist said, quoting the witnesses.

This prompted Alciso to pull out his issued .38 revolver and he shot Gilchrist six times. The firearm was issued by his employer, Arowana Security Agency.

The resort employees chartered a motorized banca and brought Gilchrist to the Daanbantayan District Hospital in the mainland, but he died before reaching there.

Alciso, a native of Hinundayan, Southern Leyte, was arrested by police.

Police recovered the .38 revolver with six empty shells in the cylinder.

“Gihurot gyud niya ang usa ka load (He used up all the bullets loaded in the cylinder),” Mandal told Sun.Star Cebu.

Police, though, noticed that Alciso reeked of liquor.

He will also be subjected to a paraffin test.

Alciso was reportedly uncooperative during the police investigation.

“Niingon ra siya namo nga napungot na daw siya (He just told us that he got fed up),” Mandal said.

It was not the first time that the security guard was scolded by Gilchrist.

According to the information gathered by Mandal from the resort workers, Alciso oftentimes reports to work late.

Last Saturday, he was supposed to punch in at 7 p.m., but arrived at 7:40 p.m. instead.

The police said they will wait for Gilchrist’s family to arrive in Cebu to decide whether an autopsy will be conducted on the victim’s body. He only had friends in Malapascua.

A murder complaint will be filed today against Alciso before the Cebu Provincial Prosecutor’s Office.

In a press statement, Daanbantayan Mayor Augusto Corro said the killing of Gilchrist is an isolated incident and will not affect the tourism industry in the island.

“It is unfortunate that this incident happened at a time when the island was brim-filled with tourists during Holy Week,” he said.

The island is getting back on its feet after it was devastated by super typhoon Yolanda last Nov. Some 80 percent of the establishments are back to business.

Corro has asked the police to prioritize the investigation on the incident.

The mayor said he has contacted the British Consulate Cebu to inform the office about the incident.