THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 is conducting a more detailed geohazard assessment on towns and cities affected by typhoon Yolanda.

The assessment started yesterday and will go on until June 30.

Yesterday, DENR 7’s Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) conducted a one—is-to-10,000 scale assessment in Bogo City and the towns of Borbon, Daanbantayan, Tabogon, Tabuelan, Tuburan, Bantayan, Madridejos, Medellin, Pilar, Poro, San Francisco, San Remigio, Sta. Fe, Sogod and Tudela.

The MGB favors this scale, which is more detailed, because the study will include barangays and sitios.

Dr. Isabelo Montejo, DENR 7 executive director, said that since the MGB has only six geologists, they plan to hire private firms to conduct the geohazard assessment with them.

Montejo said they had an initial assessment using the one-is-to-50,000 scale last year and will use a more comprehensive measurement scale to get more detailed information on geohazard risk in some small villages.

Montejo said the results of the geohazard assessment will guide local government units in coming up with disaster risk reduction and management policies.

In the case of MGB 7, state geologists are set to conduct an assessment in Bogo City and the towns of Borbon, Daanbantayan, Madridejos, Tabogon, Tabuelan and Tuburan.

Outsourced

The rest will be assessed by outsourced or private groups who have been contracted by DENR for the geohazard mapping, said MGB 7 chief geologist Al Emil Berador.

Berador said that because of lack of geologists in the region, they not only hire private groups for the survey, they also trained city and municipal engineers to conduct the assessment themselves.

Montejo said that while they are merely recommendatory, the results of the geohazard assessment can help LGUs ensure the safety of their constituents during disasters.