ANTI-CORRUPTION advocates feared Monday that the administration and the camp of Janet Napoles may enter into a deal even after plunder and graft cases had been filed against the businesswoman and three senators in connection with the pork barrel scam.
De Lima had a meeting at the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday with Napoles’ lawyer Bruce Rivera to deny reports that his client is no longer interested to give documents related to the scam after the Office of the Ombudsman rejected her request for immunity from suits.
Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) secretary general Renato Reyes, a co-convenor of #AbolishPork Movement said the meeting was uncalled for.
"Mukhang kwestyunable at di nararapat ang pagpupulong ni Attorney Rivera kay Secretary de Lima, lalo't nakasampa na ang kasong plunder sa Sandiganbayan at ibinasura ang aplikasyon ni Napoles bilang state witness. Lilikha lang sila ng persepsyon na may niluluto o inaareglo ang magkabilang kampo," he said.
De Lima earlier said Napoles still has legal options. She did not elaborate.
The Napoles camp said they will appeal the Ombudsman’s decision and ask the anti-graft court to determine if there is probable cause to proceed with the trial of the cases concerning with the corruption of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).
"We are not losing hope we are still filing our motion and the Ombudsman will decide later on kung talagang viable ang aming argument. But (if we lose anew) it will not stop us from cooperating with the government," Rivera told reporters.
Napoles, currently in detention for the serious illegal detention case, allegedly set up fake non-government organizations (NGOs) to pocket the PDAF of some lawmakers like Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr., her co-accused in the cases. (Sunnex)