A MAN from Danao City, Cebu died from meningococcemia last Aug. 16, a regional health official confirmed yesterday.
The man, whose name was withheld by authorities, is the first laboratory-confirmed case of the disease in Central Visayas, said Rennan Cimafranca of the Department of Health (DOH) 7.
Cimafranca, who heads the DOH 7’s Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (Resu), told reporters yesterday that the man contracted the disease just three days before he died.
Before he was admitted, the man had earlier suffered from severe fever, vomiting and rashes.
His speech also became slurred after the disease had hit his brain.
The man was first brought to the Danao City Provincial Hospital but was transferred to the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) in Cebu City after his condition worsened. He died at the VSMMC.
After the confirmation, health officials in Danao City immediately monitored the health of the man’s relatives, neighbors and close acquaintances that were in contact with him before he died.
The man’s relatives and acquaintances were given prophylaxis as a precautionary measure.
Even medical personnel who handled the man before he died were advised to have themselves checked.
Cimafranca said that the male victim may have contracted the disease within his community as he had no history of travel to other places.
Cimafranca advised the public to immediately seek medical help if they experience high fever for more than three days.
Earlier this year, two people–a 17-year-old boy from Mandaue City and a one-year-old girl from Cebu–reportedly died from meningococcemia. But Cimafranca said that the two fatalities were only suspected cases.
According to the World Health Organization, meningococcemia is caused by the bacteria Neisseria meningitidis.
Initial symptoms of the disease include fatigue, fever, headache and body aches. As symptoms worsen, shaking, chills, high fever and presence of rashes are observed.