SECTIONS
Saturday, January 19, 2019

20 families at landfill face risk of being buried alive

MORE than 20 families living near the Inayawan Sanitary Landfill, which is considered as a danger area, will be relocated to a safer place within the month.

Inayawan Barangay Captain Lotlot Ignacio-Soon said the families are occupying the slum area at the foot of the landfill, which is part of Sitio Dumping Site.

The sitio is at risk because the tons of garbage piled there may collapse anytime.

“We can see that there is already a calamity there with their present living condition. That’s why we’re avoiding it by relocating them,” Soon said.

She said some of the residents in the area are digging up the stones beside the landfill, which might cause the collapse of the garbage hill.

Soon said the relocation is a preventive measure for the safety of the residents.

Workers

The barangay is having a hard time responding to emergencies in the area because emergency workers have to climb the dump site to get to the area.

Soon already sought the help of the City Government for the relocation of the families.

City Administrator Lucelle Mercado has instructed the Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP) and the Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CCDRRMO) to conduct a profiling of the families.

Families

Within the week, Mercado said, DWUP and CCDRRMO will submit a report to her to determine the exact number of families that are awaiting relocation.

“What is certain here is that we will really transfer the families because it is also the order of the mayor,” Mercado said.

Soon said the City is acquiring a 21,000,000-square-meter lot in Sitio San Isidro Labrador in their barangay for the relocation.

Dispute

So far, although there is already an allocated lot, the City has yet to pay for it because there is still a dispute between the two heirs who are claiming ownership of the property.

But regardless of who owns the property, Soon said, the City will push through with the plan to buy the lot, with the payment deposited in court.

“Since it is under dispute, the ownership of the lot should be resolved in court and whoever wins will get the payment,” she said.

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!