SECTIONS
Wednesday, January 16, 2019

City to beat DOH deadline

THE Cebu City Government’s permit to build the new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC), which was issued by the Department of Health (DOH), will be expiring in July.

That, while the City is yet to bid out and start the project.

Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) Chief Engr. Jose Marie Poblete said, though, they are working on the project within the July deadline.

“The target is to habol ana. Gukuron ta gyud na nga (We have to beat the) deadline. Anyway, I don’t see it as difficult,” said Poblete, who is also the head of the CCMC special bids and awards committee (BAC).

In an interview yesterday, Poblete said the DEPW will finish the new hospital’s program of works and estimates (POWE) and the approved budget contract (ABC) within the month.

He said it is no longer hard for them to prepare the POWE since they already have the initial POWE for the project covering the City’s P300-million budget last year.

This time, he said the DEPW will just prepare the POWE for the additional P300 million set aside this year for the project. Mayor Michael Rama wanted to bid out the entire P600 million appropriated for the new hospital.

Once the POWE and ABC will be finished, Poblete said the special BAC for CCMC will proceed with the scheduling of bidding for the project on May. The bidding usually takes 20 days or at least a month.

Given this timetable, Poblete said they are targeting to award the project to a contractor by June and hopefully start the actual construction works immediately after.

“So malaumon ta na mahabol ra nato ang July target (So we’re hopeful we can beat the July target),” he said.

In the event, however, that the City cannot start the actual construction of the new hospital by July, Poblete said they were told by DOH officials that they are willing to assist the City in asking for extension.

“They don’t see it as a problem. But we are not looking at it (extension) anyway kay given the timetable, madala ra man,” he said.

The City is constructing a new hospital after the old CCMC along N. Bacalso Ave. sustained heavy damage when Visayas was hit by a 7.2-magnitude earthquake.

The facility was eventually demolished and the hospital transferred its operations at the nearby Bureau of Fire Protection compound.

The City had already conducted a bidding for the hospital in December last year but it was declared by the mayor a failure.

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!