I DON'T often get facials or like to use a lot of complicated equipment on my face, but since high school, I have been a stickler for a proper skin care routine. I’m always up for discovering new beauty products so this changes every few months after a product runs out, but below is my current skin care routine that might also work for you if you have normal to combination skin. Everyone is different, but these products have worked to keep my skin clean, healthy and pimple-free.
• Himalaya Herbals oil control facial wash. I find this has been the best at gently cleansing the face in the morning and controlling my oily T-zone. It’s a wonder product for just P100+ a tube.
• Witch hazel toner. Also great for oil control and prepping skin for moisturizer as part of pre-makeup skin care. You can get this at Healthy Options.
• Origins GinZing eye cream, which I like because it’s not greasy.
• SPF. This changes from time to time but I try to wear at least SPF30 every day. I use either BB cream with SPF or Estee
Lauder moisturizer with SPF underneath my makeup base.
• Bioderma. I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago; my new favorite thing to remove allover face makeup.
• If I am wearing a waterproof mascara or lip product, I use Missha eye and lip makeup remover. This is a really affordable and effective one for less than P200.
• Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-free Cleanser. This is a good pick if you have somewhat sensitive skin and are prone to that tight feeling on the face after cleansing. However, it is quite expensive at over P1,000 and some people may not like the smell. I also use Clean and Clear Deep Action Purifying Cleanser, which does a good job of cleansing the remainder of the day’s makeup and dirt for about P150.
• Etude House Wonder Pore Freshner as toner.
• Skin Potions Tomato Serum. This is a locally made brand that I enjoy because the products are easy to use and affordable. I use
this very lightweight tomato serum every night or sometimes during the day if it feels too humid for my regular moisturizer.
• Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizer. I’ve been using this cult product for years; it’s one of the brand’s most popular, for good reason. It’s very moisturizing and softening without feeling heavy or greasy.
• A few times a week, I replace the moisturizer with Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Serum or Skin Potions cherry oil for anti-aging. I know you are supposed to do this every night but the Kiehl’s serum is expensive (but very effective) and the cherry oil is also quite potent for nightly use.
• Etude House Collagen Moistfull eye cream, for keeping those fine lines at bay!
• Lastly, lip balm. I use anything from Maybelline Baby Lips to Rosebud Salve.
Of course, no one needs to take this many steps for skin care every day, unless you’re a product junkie like me! For skin care, it is important to choose products that make sense both for your skin and your lifestyle. There’s no need to buy or use so many products if just a few are good for you.