CH opens half of road to ease congestion

THE Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) partially opened a portion of the S. Osmeña Blvd. yesterday, following complaints of traffic congestion in the area over the weekend.

However, Atty. Rafael Yap, reinstated Citom executive director, still advised motorists to avoid the stretch of road.

“We asked motorists to take alternative routes because we are still expecting some congestion. We are continuously monitoring the area since S. Osmeña is a vital arterial highway,” he said.

In an interview yesterday, Yap said those going to Cebu City from Mandaue City and vice versa will have to use the Mandaue North Road.

Motorists from Mandaue headed for the Cebu Business Park will have to take F. Cabahug St., Yap said.

Vehicles coming from A.S. Fortuna will have to take the Banilad-Talamban corridor.
Improvement

Yap said the traffic in the area has improved following the implementation of the “no-left turn” policy.

Last Saturday, Mayor Michael Rama closed a portion of S. Osmeña--from the intersection near Radisson Blu Hotel to the intersection of J. Luna and S. Osmeña so motorists could avoid the potholes brought about by the road-concreting project.

However, this inconvenienced motorists and mallgoers who were stuck in heavy traffic.

The City has then decided to “tweak” the traffic scheme, Yap said.

As this developed, the mayor disclosed yesterday that the Cebu Port Authority agreed to open its road and remove its fence.

Request

This, he said, will further ease traffic on S. Osmeña.

“If (the) fence is lost, you will already see a beautiful wide range of road towards Plaza Independencia. That will bring beauty in that area,” Rama said.

He said the new traffic scheme on S. Osmeña will remain in place until the road-concreting project by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 is completed.

He then reiterated his request for DPWH 7 and the contractor, WT Construction, to fast-track the project and finish by April.

The 2.5-kilometer road-concreting project, which costs more than P100 million, was implemented in March last year yet.

The mayor said DPWH 7 officials told him the project would be finished before his birthday last October last year.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph