A LIGHTED candle that was offered to the dead family members caused a fire, destroying two structures in Barangay Poblacion, Ronda last Wednesday night, All Saints’ Day.
The blaze destroyed the house of Gerlyn Baticura and the stock house of Leticia Maribao Templa.
PO3 Joselito de Aquino said Baticura’s father Johnson reportedly suffered a heart attack during the incident, but he was out of danger.
Investigation showed the fire started in Baticura’s residence. A lighted candle, which was offered for her family’s departed loved ones, fell onto light materials inside the house.
The flames spread to the neighboring structure owned by Templa.
Firefighters from Dumanjug and Moalboal helped in putting out the fire, after receiving the alarm at 8:05 p.m. The fire was declared out at 8:45 p.m.
Initial estimate of the damages was pegged at P5,000. (KAL)