THE Davao City Council on Tuesday, November 7, approved on suspended rules the P5 million worth of financial assistance to the City Government of Marawi.

This after Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio's request to have legislative authority to utilize a portion of the 30 percent Quick Response Fund (QRF) out of the five percent of Disaster Risk Reduction Management Fund (calamity fund) of the City Government for Calendar Year 2017.

During the City Council’s session on Tuesday, Davao City Budget Officer Ermelinda Furog Gallego assured the item's proponent Davao City Councilor Danilo Dayanghirang that the city has more than enough funds.

"Our balance for the 30 percent QRF as of today is P96,430,300.30, so we have so much funds under 30 percent QRF," Gallego said.

Gallego added that based on rules, the amount cannot be disbursed without Marawi's declaration of state of calamity.

Councilor Bernard Al-ag, however, confirmed that a proclamation had been produced by the local government unit of Marawi City.

As to the mode of assistance which will be given to Marawi, Gallego said the city will directly give the fund to the LGU of Marawi and the latter will purchase the needs of its people.

Duterte-Carpio, in a statement issued on Tuesday morning, said it is the duty of the Dabawenyos to help its countrymen in Marawi.

"I encourage the other LGUs to share from their own disaster funds. If we give a little and put it all together, it can make a big difference," the mayor said.

As of Tuesday, Davao City has a total disaster fund of P91 million, earmarked as disposable within the last two months of 2017.

Duterte-Carpio said she thought of giving Marawi more.

“I initially planned to give P10 million, but we still have two months left. My priority is still Davao City. Maybe mid next year or the same period, we will look at how they used the P5 million and we can give them more,” she said.

“It is within our duty as elected officials to help other cities who are in need of our help,” she added. (With PR)