A TOTAL of 1,667 voters registered in Cebu Province, including Metro Cebu, in the first two days of registration for the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) on May 14.

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) recorded 942 persons as new registrants for regular voters 18 years and above, and 87 new registrants for the SK who are below 18 years old.

The rest showed up to correct entries or to reactivate their right to vote after they were deactivated after not voting in the last two elections.

Cebu Provincial Election Officer Atty. Ferdinand Gujilde said the registration period will end on Nov. 30.

Gujilde noted that there were no registrants in the towns of Catmon, Pilar and Santander.

However, he attributed this to the aggressiveness of the Comelec to conduct satellite registrations earlier this year.

Or maybe it was because of the prohibition of voters’ transfer from one precinct to another.

“Per barangay and SK election, we noticed transfers of voters through hakot system. Now, we prohibit transfer, so nobody is aggressive to transfer voters,” he said.

Then again, maybe people will wait for the last minute to register, Gujilde added. (EOB)