A TOTAL of 71.27 percent of Dabawenyos are aware of Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome or HIV-Aids, based on the latest Ateneo de Davao University survey.

Head of Reproductive Health and Wellness Center Dr. Jordana Ramiterre in a text message to SunStar Davao said that this number is already higher compared than before.

"But we need to do more to achieve hopefully 100 percent, or almost," Ramiterre said.

However, based on the City Wide Social Survey Series 8 administered by the Social Research Training and Development Office (SRTDO) from October 21 to 27, 2017 showed the remaining 28.73 percent are not aware of the disease.

Also 82.89 percent of those who confirmed they are aware said that they also know about the spread of HIV in the city while the remaining 17.11% are not aware of it.

Meanwhile, the data also revealed that 51.73 percent are aware of HIV testing facilities while the remaining 48.27 percent are not aware of it.

Television was identified as the major source of information for HIV, followed by radio, friends, barangay health center, neighbor and newspaper.

Chairperson of Olympus Society, a community based organization in Davao, Oscar Obenza Jr. lauded the Dabawenyos' high awareness on HIV and says it is a product of their involvement with the efforts of the local and national government to educate people about HIV-Aids.

"From a Community Based Organization point of view of Olympus Society of Davao, it simply means that our involvement with the efforts of Department of Health and Davao City Aids Council to educate the Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender community, schools, and private institution through countless events like World Aids day, Pride Festivals, City Anti-drug Abuse Council Health Caravans, International Aids Candlelight Memorial, HIV Orientations and Screening, etc. is an effective way to educate and reach the people. So, I highly encourage more private, public, CBO and local government Unit participation," Obenza said.