THE Davao City Health Office (CHO) and the Department of Health in Davao Region (DOH-11) said they have not released Dengvaxia, but private institutions might have released the vaccine.

The vaccine, which was procured by former President Benigno Aquino III's administration, was recently reported to have adverse effect on patients who have not acquired the disease.

Davao City Health Office’s Dr. Josephine Villafuerte, in a media interview Monday, said CHO did not release any dengue vaccines.

"We did not give any sa City Health but doonsa private they were giving some. Davao City is not part of the priority area (for Dengvaxia distribution)," she said.

She was not able to provide data on how many were given the vaccine by private institutions.

Villafuerte added that the city is not a direct beneficiary of the medicine since the city is not part of the priority area of the project.

"Also, the study was not yet completed at that time so we had to look into the pros and cons of giving it," she said.

"As said, it was just as effective as 69 to 75 percent, so ngayon lumalabas sa study, yung result, so far there is a discussion on giving the medicine," she said.

Villafuerte confirmed that the Dengue cases in the city have been going down through the help of the barangays.

Department of Health assistant secretary Dr. Abdullah Dumama advised private pediatricians to put on hold the giving of Dengvaxia.

"I'd like to call on to private pediatricians to make sure to cease using this until further notice. Please do not vaccinate your patients yet until it is clear with the Department of Health," he said.

Dumama said last November 29, DOH decided to put on hold the usage of vaccine due to the Sanofi Pasteur's latest analysis wherein it was found that children who were given vaccine, who are not able to contract dengue are protected until 25 to 30 months.

[READ: DOH suspends distribution of dengue vaccine]

Some studies show that in the long run, that a severe case may follow after subsequent dengue infections.

"Ibig sabihin noon, maaring mas severe pagka nakakuha ng dengue virus ang batang nabakunahan pero actually it is not yet clear. Sa akin kasi common sense lang din, hindi naman automatic na kapag naka-contract ang batang yan ng virus ay severe na agad. Kung tingan mo kasi, analogy lang, meron ngang severe infection na nag-occur sa mga tao kahit hindi nabakunahan," Dumama said.

He also advised public not to panic about the recent information on Dengvaxia.

"Let us not be panicked on this..hindi na man ito 100 percent na kapag ikaw ay nabakunahan, at hindi ka nabakunahan at hindi ka nagka-dengue ay severe naang infection sa iyo," Dumama said.

He added that only Central Luzon, Calabarzon, National Capital Region, and Central Visayas were the only recipients of Dengvaxia.

He added that according to the data they received 733,000 were already given vaccine in other areas.

"DOH have not given any to Davao Region, personally, hindiko pa nganakikitaang vaccine, I am not very sure sa private [if they are giving it] We will find out, kasinariningkosa NCR, there are private individuals who are giving Dengvaxia to their patients. Kaninalangtumawag from Cotabatonaanganakniyanabigyanng vaccine from private," he said.

Dumama said that they will make sure to check private pedia who have released the vaccine.