THE regional office of the Department of Health (DOH) recorded two firecracker-related injuries in the region but none was so far admitted at the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) from December 21 to 27.
DOH-Davao director Dr. Abdullah Dumama Jr. said that based on their monitoring on firecracker-related injuries (FRI) this holiday season, they have only recorded two cases: one victim in Compostela Valley who was admitted at the Davao Regional Medical Center (DRMC) and another one in Davao del Sur.
In their 2016 to 2017 data, it is 79 percent decrease compared to the same period in previous year with 24 cases with seven in Davao del Norte, four in Davao del Sur, five in Compostela Valley and eight in Davao Oriental.
Based on their data from 2015-2016, they noted a total of 115 cases with 92 in Davao del Norte, four in Davao del Sur, 16 in Compostela Valley and three in Davao Oriental.
Last July, President Rodrigo Duterte signed an executive order (EO) regulating the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices wherein (LGU), except those that have banned firecrackers, to identify designated areas for firecrackers or fireworks display.
Meanwhile, Davao City Police Office (DCPO) director Police Senior Superintendent Alexander Tagum said that based on their police monitoring, they have not noted any incident and the city has retained its clean record of zero firecracker-related incident and indiscriminate firing on Christmas Day due to the intense security monitoring of security forces on the ground and the cooperation of the public for heeding the city ordinance that prohibits firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices.
With the upcoming New Year, maximum security will be implemented to apprehend violators of the firecracker ban, which is a local ordinance.