THE Department of Health (DOH) said that there has been a 71 percent decrease in the number of firecracker-related injuries compared to previous data from the same period last year.
Aksyon Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR) Surveillance update as of January 2 showed a total of 149 firecracker-related injuries, which is 71 percent lower compared to 521 cases from the same period in 2016.
The DOH said that as of Tuesday, Pampanga is still leading in terms of number of injuries with 47 recoded cases followed by Tarlac with 29 cases and Nueva Ecija with 24 cases. Aurora province recorded the lowest number of cases with only one case reported so far. Bulacan, the provincial producer of fireworks for Luzon, only recorded five cases as of press time. The provinces of Bulacan and Zambales also recorded significant number of fireworks-related injuries with 20 and 23 cases, respectively.
Piccolo is still the leading cause of injury (38 percent) followed by kwitis (15 percent) and fountain (7 percent). Other injuries were from lusis, boga, baby rocket and fivestar.
Most of the injured were from ages 11 to 20 years old, showing that most underage children still had exposure to fireworks as reports show that most had active involvement in the use of the firecrackers.
Most of the victims were male with 128 cases sustaining burns. Only three cases required amputation of mostly their finger extremities.
Police Regional Office (PRO)-Central Luzon director Amador Corpus said that there was no one was reported injury due to stray bullet as of Tuesday afternoon, January 2, 2018.
Corpus added that no police officers were involved in indiscriminate firing.