THE Province of Pampanga registered the most number of firecracker-related injuries with 67 recorded cases, as of January 3, in the whole of Central Luzon virtually overtaking Bulacan which was number one last year for the same period.
The Department of Health’s (DOH) Aksyon Paputok: Injury Reduction (APIR) Surveillance update as of January 3 said that a total of 190 reported fireworks-related injuries were recorded.
This is now 64 percent lower compared to 2017’s 529 cases for the same period.
Provinces with recorded cases include Aurora with one case; Bataan with eight cases; Bulacan with 20; Nueva Ecija with 30 cases; Tarlac with 33 cases and Zambales with 31 cases.
Seventy five of the said injuries were brought about by piccolo while 29 resulted from accidents with kwitis.
Most of the victims ranged from one to 61 years old. Most of the cases (39 percent) belong to the age group 11 to 20 years old. Eighty seven percent of the cases (160 cases) were males.
The Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit of the Department of Health here recorded 15 cases of eye injuries from fireworks and 168 cases of burns from fireworks.
The remaining 168 cases, fortunately, did not require any amputation. Three cases, one in Bulacan province and two in Tarlac, required amputation.