PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has accepted the resignation of his eldest son, Paolo Duterte, as Davao City vice-mayor, Malacañang confirmed on Friday, January 5.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said Duterte accepted his son's resignation on Friday afternoon.

"President Rodrigo Duterte has already accepted this afternoon the resignation of Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte," Roque said in a text message sent to Palace reporters.

Duterte accepted his son's resignation "effective immediately," according to a letter dated January 5 and signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea on the President's behalf.

The younger Duterte announced his resignation on Christmas Day, December 25, 2017.

The former Davao City vice mayor cited "unfortunate events," including allegations linking him to the smuggling of P6.4 billion worth of shabu from China and his family problems, as among the reasons for his resignation.

“There are recent unfortunate events in my life that are closely tied to my failed first marriage. These, among others, include the maligning of my reputation in the recent name dropping incident in the Bureau of Customs smuggling case and the very public squabble with my daughter," he earlier said.

“I am grateful to all the Dabawenyos for your support to my office and I look forward to the day that I will be able to serve our country again,” he added.

The presidential son was mired in the controversy hounding the Bureau of Customs (BOC) after he was accused of being the leader of the so-called "Davao Group", which was purportedly behind the smuggled shipments at the BOC.

Duterte's son, who previously attended a Senate inquiry into the P6.4-billion shabu shipment that slipped past the BOC, had denied his supposed involvement.

He had also a public spat with his daughter, Isabelle, who posted cryptic posts against him on social media. The word war between the two became viral after he responded to his daughter's posts and called her a "disgrace." (SunStar Philippines)