THE owner of the car whose plate number was used by a 21–year-old student who claimed that she had been kidnapped may take legal actions against the student, said a Cebu City official yesterday.
Cebu City Councilor David Tumulak said that his office managed to locate the owner of the car whose plate number the student mentioned when she informed her sister about the alleged kidnapping.
“We were able to locate the owner of the plate number as alleged by the victim and we contacted the owner of the car. She denied that her car was used to kidnap a student in Cebu,” he said.
Tumulak said the owner of the car, who is an executive officer in one of the biggest firms in the country based in Luzon, told Tumulak that she could produce proof that she was using her car on the day that the student claimed she was kidnapped.
The councilor said that the car owner will send some footage from the security cameras in her office and residence along with the affidavit of their guards to prove that she used the car last Monday.
“Although she did not categorically said she will file a complaint, the owner said she is now consulting their legal team as to whatever legal actions she can pursue after her plate number was dragged in the controversy,” said Tumulak.
Meanwhile, Tumulak appealed to the public, particularly teenagers, to stop participating in the 48-hour “Missing Challenge” on social media.
The 48-hour Missing Challenge encourages participants to leave their homes for two days to win points from their online friends.
“Please don’t join it because it’s not a joke. It’s a waste of time for your family and friends and the law enforcers. It can create chaos and fear,” said Tumulak.
He added that parents should, for safety’s sake, closely monitor the things that their kids post on social media. (RVC)