Sinulog Grand Parade 2018 ‘grander’

SPECTATORS of the Sinulog grand parade at the Cebu City Sports Center are up for a "grander closing ceremony" on Sunday, January 21.

Councilor Dave Tumulak, who also sits as Sinulog executive committee chairperson, said the Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) has decided to bring back the fireworks display.



Compared to previous years, Tumulak said the fireworks on Sunday are more expensive and grander.

The SFI used to pay some P300,000 for the fireworks display before it was ordered stopped by Mayor Tomas Osmeña last year.

“It has been decided also by the mayor para makadugang sa kanindot sa atong Sinulog karung Sunday,” Tumulak said.

However, the grand parade might not be able to conclude by 4:30 p.m. as originally planned.

To maximize security, organizers of the grand parade have decided to delay for an hour the opening of activities at the CCSC.

Tumulak clarified that there are no reported threats as of this time, but authorities and the SFI have agreed on the changes.

“I had a meeting with the production team, crowd control and communicators. We’ve already figured out how to make sure that these (changes in schedule) will not affect the performance of the contingent,” he said.

From its original schedule, the 7 a.m. holy mass at the CCSC will be moved to 8 a.m.

Mayor Tomas Osmeña is expected to open the grand parade right after the mass.

The parade, though, will be short of two contingents after two participants from the Sinulog sa Barangay sa Dakbayan decided to withdraw from the main event.

Due to budget constraints, the contingents of the Barangay Mayor’s Office (BMO) from Lahug and Cogon Pardo will not be performing at the grand parade.

As of today, there will be only 30 contingents performing, instead of 32. Some 40 floats will also participate in the event.

All of the seven Sinulog sa Kabataan sa Lalawigan have signified that they will be performing.

These are the City of Naga Division, City of Bogo Science and Arts Academy, Tribu Ginatilan, Municipality of Tuburan, Talisay City Central Elementary School, Carcar City and Tribu Hinatdan of Ginatilan town.

Tribu Kandaya from Daanbantayan in the northern town of Cebu will also be joining again this Sunday.

About 18 contingents in the Sinulog sa Barangay sa Dakbayan will be joining as well.

These include Tribu Buwad Festival (San Nicolas Proper), Tribu Timbal Mambalinganon, Tribu Buhisan, Tribu Bulacao, Mabag-ohanong Kabatan-onan sa Duljo Fatima, Hugpong Karasikas-Sta. Cruz, Pundok Maanpuong Tisaanon-Tisa BMO, Tribu Madasigon-Sawang Calero and Tribu Bacayon.

Also performing are Tribu San Roquehanon, Tribu Mabolokon, Tribu Mahugyawong Pasil, Tisa Performing Arts, Apas Central Command-BMO, Lumad Basakanon, Hugpong Kabatan-unang Mananayaw sa Sapangdaku, Banay Labangon and the Banauan Cultural Group.

Out-of-town contingents Tribu Katbalaugan from Catbalogan City; Kulturang Panglaoanon from Panglao, Bohol; Tribu Buyoganon from Abuyog, Leyte; and the Kalivungan Festival of the Provincial Government of North Cotabato have confirmed their attendance for the grand parade.

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph