I AM thrifty but a no smart spender. I can be so thrifty today and a one-day millionaire tomorrow. It's not wise. And it is a thing I want to improve this year to pave my way to financial freedom.

Having financial freedom means you get to make life decisions without worrying so much about the financial impact, simply because, you are prepared.

Maybe, most of us find financial planning as a painful task, but it is our only ticket to achieve whatever our life goals are, so let's get started and consider living with these three money-wise tips, after all, we've got nothing to lose. Well, it is more of gaining anyway.

Track your finances

Late November last year, I had this commitment to myself to start tracking my expenses, from the moment I get out from the house until going home. I was encouraged doing this by my girlfriend who has quite a skill in financial planning. I tried making it a habit and eventually, I can say that it is effective. Honestly, there is still days when I tend to forget marking down my expenses but I'm catching up whenever the situation arises.

One thing I developed from tracking my expenses is you get that sense of financial awareness. Now, I know where bulk of my money goes and how I spent it. It helps me check myself if I'm spending wisely or not. It is best for identifying what habits you can change in order to make your money work for you.

Because, admit it, even our small daily expenses can create a hole in our budget.

Now, I'm still developing this tracking-expenses skills but I'm more than halfway there. It really is important as it serves as the first step to understanding how we manage our money, and take control of our finances.

70/30 rule

No, I'm not yet living the 70/30 rule. It's hard, but never impossible. Who doesn't want to spend all your hard-earned money to things you like (gadgets, travel, food, etc.). But we need to think beyond now, think for our financial future.

Basically, this financial rule suggests that you'll save 30 percent of your income and spend the remaining 70 percent with daily living expenses, necessities and luxuries (because we deserve this after all!).

For the 30 percent, it does not necessarily mean that you just have to keep all in it for literal saving. You can actually divide it in three: for charity, capital investment and savings.

Once we master living with this rule, we will surely be enjoying financial freedom.

Handle debts properly

It's okay to have debts for as long as it is used for productive purposes. Always wear a reminder that do only debts when necessary and not just for buying your unreasonable wants.

Also, just like the Lannisters in "Game of Thrones," always pay your debts.

In paving our way to financial freedom, know that starting with baby steps is completely okay. Just keep doing it consistently until we established good financial habits that could help, largely, in achieving our financial goals.