Politics eyed in La Paz blast

ABRA Representative Joseph Sto. Niño Bernos believes the grenade blasts in La Paz town was politically motivated as police continue its investigation in the incident which killed a SAF 44 survivor.

"We have to accept that the reason why this incident happened is due to politics," said Bernos of the grenade blast last week which killed two police men and injuring 25 others including him and his wife Mayor Menchi.

Bernos said he and his wife were the possible target of the grenade blast during the town fiesta’s fireworks display at the plaza.

Abra Provincial Police director Wilson Soliba meanwhile said the task force has yet to fully conclude motive of the grenade blast and urge provincial officials no to speculate on the recent event.

“The investigation is still ongoing and we want everybody not to speculate so as not to create further tension in the province,” said Senior Superintendent Soliba.

Initial investigation revealed the incident happened around 1:30 a.m. while the people were gathered at the La Paz town plaza to witness the fireworks display when an explosion occurred killing Mamasapano survivor Police Officer 3 (PO3) Carlos Baccali Bocaig and PO2 Frenzel Buneng Kitoyan, both members of the Abra Provincial Mobile Force Company.

Soliba said Police Regional Office Cordillera director Chef Superintendent Edward Carranza is still awaiting the progress of the investigation from the newly formed Regional Special Investigation Task Group headed by Deputy Regional Director for Operations Police Chief Superintendent Sterling Raymund Blanco.

Bernos meanwhile has put up a P1-million bounty for anyone who could give any information on the identity of the perpetrator of the bombing incident last Thursday.

"We are calling on our fellow Abreños and all people who may know the whereabouts of this person to help us in holding him responsible for the fear and terror he has sown, for those injured, and for the death of two brave policemen," Bernos said.

Bernos earlier said the attack was meant to h arm him and his wife. He said prior to the event, he received a threat about a possible disruption of the town's festivities. (With a report from Sunnex)
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph