PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte will once again skip the commemoration of 32nd anniversary of Edsa People Power Revolution on Sunday, February 25.
Instead of attending the commemorative rites that will be held at the Edsa People Power Monument in Quezon City, the President will be in his home province in Davao City, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said.
"We confirm that President Rodrigo Roa Duterte will not attend the People Power anniversary celebration," Roque said in a statement sent to Palace reporters on Saturday, February 24.
The National Historical Commission of the Philippines will lead the flag-raising and wreath-laying ceremonies at the Edsa People Power Monument in Quezon City at 9 a.m. of Sunday.
On February 24, 2017, Duterte was also a no-show at the 31st Edsa People Power Revolution anniversary because of his "busy" schedule.
Malacañang also opted last year for a "simple and quite" commemoration of the 1986 bloodless revolution that led to the ouster of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
The 1986 Edsa People Power Revolution gathered millions of Filipinos from all walks of life to march along Edsa to end Marcos' dictatorship.
The revolution was a result of the long oppressed freedom and the abuses committed by the Marcos regime. Prayers were the only weapons the Filipinos used to bring back their freedom from the hands of Marcos. (SunStar Philippines)