MORE than 3,600 inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) want the jail management to release P377,000 that was allegedly confiscated during surprise inspections.
The inmates, through Atty. Erika-Anne Therese de la Cerna, sent a demand letter to Roberto Legaspi, CPDRC acting warden. They also want an inventory of the seized proceeds.
“These sums of money are proceeds of bakery and store operations of the inmates, which are consented by the CPDRC,” the letter read.
According to the inmates, the money, which was confiscated during greyhound operations last Feb. 2, 2016 and Feb. 2, 2018, was not declared by jail management.
In the letter, de la Cerna said that the inmates’ bakery and store operations were meant to help with their livelihood.
Apart from CPDRC warden, Gov. Hilario Davide III, the Office of the Ombudsman, the Commission on Human Rights, and the Office of the President were furnished copies of the letter.
Earlier this month, the inmates signed a petition to voice their grievances, such as the suspension of their visitation rights last Feb. 7, following the discovery of contraband during a greyhound operation.
CPDRC inmates’ leader Dexter Agwanta led the signing of the petition paper.
Bohol Provincial Board Member Rey Nino Boniel, the alleged mastermind behind the death of his wife Bien Unido, Bohol Mayor Gisela Bendong-Boniel, is among of the petitioners.
Atty. Inocencio de la Cerna said that inmates who are behaving well should be spared from any disciplinary action.
Interviewed recently, Legaspi said they decided to suspend visitation rights while they review the facility’s security measures.
He said that they welcome any information that will lead to people responsible for sneaking contraband into the facility.
Meanwhile, visitation rights are suspended “until further notice,” Legaspi said.