THE police will monitor more than 80 inmates who were released from Cebu City Jail in the past seven weeks as some of them may have been involved in the murders that happened over the weekend.
Cebu City Councilor David Tumulak, deputy mayor on police matters, submitted the list containing the names of former inmates to the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) officials yesterday morning.
“We are looking into other possibilities. If the suspects will be identified, at least, we can pinpoint at someone because we have a record,” he told reporters.
The former inmates had been jailed for various offenses, including illegal drug possession or peddling, murder, rape, and theft.
Tumulak, however, clarified that most of the inmates were freed for their good behavior inside the jail facility.
The Cebu City Jail released 43 inmates by granting them with good conduct time allowance (GCTA), while 40 inmates were released last month through the same mode.
Tumulak said there is a need to monitor them and the list will be given to barangays where the inmates are living.
“If they have intervention that can help the inmates, the better. In that way, they can go back in the society,” he said.
Senior Insp. Jonathan Taneo, the CCPO-Homicide Section chief, said they are still verifying if some of the names in the list of inmates were involved in several recent shooting incidents in Cebu City.
At 4:15 a.m. yesterday, Chrisjan Laput Belangel, 39, was shot dead by a certain Moymoy on Regla St. in Barangay Mabolo.
Police recovered six empty shells, four deformed slugs and a bullet of .45 pistol, P53,000 cash and two cell phones from the crime scene.
Around 8:30 p.m. last Sunday, Regene Tibon Bacarro, 35, was shot dead by an unknown assailant in Sitio Sugar Landia, Barangay Bacayan.
In Alaska Proper, Barangay Mambaling, Reynaldo Bacalso Baydal, 48, was shot dead by an unidentified assailant past 7 p.m. last Saturday.
Tumulak said the motives behind the murders were personal grudges. (KAL)