THE Department of Labor and Employment in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (Dole-Armm) on Wednesday, March 14, said that 1,411 summer jobs are currently available for students and out-of-school youth in the region.

Dole-Armm Secretary Muslimin Jakilan said the program is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational course students, and out-of-school youths (OSYs) living in areas covered by Health, Education, Livelihood, Peace and Governance, and Synergy (Armm-Helps) program.

Armm-Helps is a development convergence initiative of the regional government covering 553 recipient villages across the region.

“We prioritize those students who most need summer jobs,” Jakilan said.

He added that it is part of the Dole’s Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES), a flagship program designed to provide income opportunities to OSYs and students from underprivileged families during summer, or Christmas break.

He said the Dole-Armm has earmarked P3.8 million for this year’s SPES. Each of the student-beneficiaries of SPES will work for a period of 25 days.

Under the SPES, the Dole-Armm shoulders 40 percent of the salaries of the beneficiaries, while the employers pay the remaining 60 percent.

“We want to help the students and out-of-school youth to earn money, which they can use to pay for next school year,” he said.

He said the registration for employment applicants has already started and will end in the last week of March.

Those interested to avail of the SPES may apply at the DOLE office in their respective provinces.

The requirements are the following: birth certificate; barangay clearance; certification by the school registrar, or Form 138, or original class card; certificate of good moral character; and parents’ income tax return, which shows an annual income not exceeding P85.

The requirement for OSY applicant is a certificate of good moral character from the barangay. (Bong Garcia/SunStar Philippines)