Police to charge new suspect for Karen Kaye Montebon case

CHARGES of robbery will be filed against Jenalyn Soon, live-in partner of the principal suspect in the death of Karen Kaye Montebon, after some witnesses attested she took part in planning to steal the 17-year-old student’s gadgets.

Karen Kaye, an accountancy student, was found dead inside her room in a subdivision in Barangay Basak, Lapu-Lapu City last Sept. 15. A cord of a hair straightener was tied around her neck, while her iPad and DSLR camera were missing from the room.

The gadgets were later recovered from people who bought these from Ruben Fernandez.

Fernandez, though, was killed in Barangay Nasingin in Getafe, Bohol the night before he was declared a suspect.


Members of the Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) Montebon had said that Soon, despite being Fernandez’s partner, could not be named a suspect in or even an accessory to the crime.

But that was before a few neighbors claimed they saw Soon arguing with Fernandez in Bohol days after Karen Kaye’s death.

Nagtatalo pa ang dalawa bakit pinatay ang bata na wala sa kanilang kasundoan ‘yon (They reportedly argued because killing the girl was not part of the plan),” said Senior Supt. Marlon Tayaba, chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) 7.

Tayaba also heads SITG Montebon. He said this new development will be included as one of their circumstantial evidence against Soon.

Soon, a family friend of the Montebons, earlier said she had no idea her live-in partner would rob the girl and kill her.

Karen Kaye’s father James welcomed the development.

Maayo na nga balita. At least masugdan na gyud ang kaso nga dugay na namo nga gi hulat ug mahatagan na unya ug kumpleto nga hustisya si Karen (That’s good news. At least, the case that we’ve long been waiting for can start and justice can be served to Karen),” he told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday.

Earlier doubts

He thanked Tayaba and the latter’s fellow investigators for continuing their probe despite Fernandez’s death.

James said he had hoped that a complaint would be filed against Soon before they marked the 40th day since Karen Kaye’s death.

Hangtod karon sakit gihapon sa amoa ang nahitabo sa among anak (We still suffer from the pain of losing our child),” he added.

Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, acting directorial staff chief of the Police Regional Office 7, also welcomed the development.

He admitted they had doubted Soon and some of her testimonies.

A closed-circuit television camera footage showed Soon was with Fernandez when they first arrived at the Montebons’ residence that day.

As for the results of the DNA test conducted on the hair strands recovered in Karen Kaye’s room, these have yet to be released by the PNP Crime Laboratory, Tayaba said.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!