City to provide relocation site for fire victims

BACOLOD City Mayor Evelio Leonardia said on Monday, March 26, the City Government will provide a relocation site to the fire victims of Purok Kabukiran in Barangay Taculing.

Leonardia said the Bacolod Housing Authority (BHA) and the Department of Social Services and Development (DSSD) are revalidating the number of fire victims and to determine if they are qualified to avail the relocation site.

On Sunday, a fire razed 30 houses, which destroyed 21 houses and damaged nine others in Purok Kabukiran.

DSSD records showed a total of 35 families including five sharers or a total of 131 individuals were affected by the fire.

Leonardia said some of the fire victims had already applied for the relocation site, but the evaluation is still ongoing.

BHA officer-in-charge Faith Joy Lumauag said last February, the village chief of Barangay Taculing referred to them the names of some illegal settlers who are subject to a demolition at Purok Kabukiran.

As of March, they received about 20 households applying for the relocation site, she said. 

"Of the 20 households, we are validating if there are families who are included in the fire incident on Sunday," she added.

The BHA required the applicants as well as the fire victims to complete the requirements such as certification of assessment from the city and the province to ensure that they did not own any property.

The fire victims will be relocated to the Abada Escay, Progreso Village, and Handumanan relocation sites.

Leonardia said he already requested Councilor Renecito Novero, chairperson of the City Council committee on housing, to conduct a study for more improvement of the relocation sites such as the construction of the major roads, water facilities among others.

He said the improvement of the relocation site is one of his top priorities which will be implemented within this year.

‘Need more assistance’

Gina Castro, cluster supervisor of DSSD, said the Barangay Taculing fire victims are temporarily staying at the Bacolod City National High School.

Residents whose houses were destroyed will receive P10,000 while those whose houses were damaged will receive P5,000 and P3,000 for sharers or renters.

The city already distributed food as well as clothing, but it's still not enough to sustain their daily needs.

"We are appealing to those who are willing to give assistance to the victims, they need our help, especially for their food, clothes, personal cares, beddings, pillow and kitchen utensils," Castro said.

She said they are accepting donations at the Government Center and they will set up a DSSD desk in Barangay Taculing to accept donations.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph