MOST people nowadays use social media, most not even noticing how much time we spend on it. In fact, many people can’t live a day without checking their Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., some can’t live without it.
According to the survey that out of 2000 youngsters, they found out that two out of three spend an average of two hours a day on social media, and more during school holidays. Three out of four teenagers said they could not last a day without using social media, with one in seven admitting they would not last an hour.
Psychologist Dr Aric Sigman said: “These results indicate that children are clearly spending more of their spare time in the virtual world, reinforcing the need for families to take stock and ensure children spend more time in the real world.” TheScotsman (2015)
In today’s society, everybody can use social media no matter what your age is, even a kid owns a social media account and knows how a virtual world works. We cannot deny the fact that social media is growing and will grow more in the future.
But what is social media and how can it affect our daily lives?
Social Media is an online communication channels dedicated to group based info, interaction, content-sharing and cooperation. Meaning to say it is the applications we use to communicate and socialize with other people around the globe.
Here are some of the pros and cons of using social media:
Communication and building virtual relationships
- Social network gives us the opportunity to connect and build relationship with other people whom we cannot meet personally.
Decreases Communication Barriers
- In social media, we are able to share and communicate our thoughts over different topics with a huge number of audiences.
- Since, social media become part of our daily lives, businesses notice that we value social media so much that they use it to promote their products.
Lead to Isolation
- Some people feel that virtual world is better than communicating in real world, therefore social media is reducing the level of human interaction.
- Social media can sometimes makes people unproductive, people tend to spend so much time on social media without doing anything.
Distraction and procrastination
- People get distracted by all sorts of social media application that even one is driving they’re still using their mobile phones or even when eating.
The most frequently asked question today is, is Social Media good or bad?
There are always pros and cons of everything, and it depends on the perspective of a person on how they will perceive things, some of us may perceive social media in a positive way because of the evolution of technology and some may seem to take it as negative because it can affect our real world interactions.
My conclusion is that social media stands in between, it really depends on a person on how they will perceive things. I would love to hear your thoughts about the question raised. Is Social Media good or bad? (Kristine Bedano)
Kristine is a student of the University of Mindanao.