THIRTY houses and a furniture factory were destroyed after a fire broke out in Barangay Tabok, Mandaue City yesterday afternoon.
The Mandaue City Fire Station (MCFS) received the alarm at 5:53 p.m. in the residential area of Upper Tabok.
Benedict Tudtud, radio operator of the Mandaue City Government, said MCFS placed the incident under second alarm at 6:01 p.m. before raising it to a third alarm two minutes later.
The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) 7 eventually placed the incident under general alarm, which prompted firefighters from neighboring cities and towns to respond.
The fire was put under control at 7:30 p.m.
As of press time, firefighters were still in the area to put out the fire.
BFP 7 Director Samuel Tadeo said they got a report that a couple had left a stove that used an LPG-refilled butane canister unattended.
The house reportedly started in the second floor of the rented house owned by Rebecca Pahigas. The rented house had three floors.
However, Tadeo said they have to determine the real cause of the fire.
According to the estimates of Jessie Perez, head of the City Social Welfare and Services (CSWS) Office, 50 families or 300 individuals were affected.
Lawyer Mae Elaine Bathan, Mayor Luigi Quisumbing’s chief of staff, said that those who want to help fire survivors can coordinate with the CSWS.
“For those who are thinking of extending assistance please course it through our CSWS office. Immediate needs are ready-to-eat food and water, clothes, blankets, etc.,” she said.
READ: General alarm raised as fire razes residential area in Mandaue