SECTIONS
Friday August 17, 2018

DFA: No Filipino casualties in Syrian airstrikes

THERE are no reported Filipino casualties from the air strikes launched by the United States (US) and European allies against Syria, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Saturday, April 14.

The DFA took to Facebook to assure the public that the Philippine government is now monitoring the situation of Filipinos affected by the missile strikes against Syrian capital of Damascus.

"We are in touch with the Philippine Embassy, which is now checking on the condition of the more than 1,000 of our fellow countrymen in Damascus," the Foreign Affairs department said in a statement.

"So far, the Embassy has not received any reports of Filipino casualties in the attacks that appear to have targeted military installations in and around Damascus," he added.



American president Donald Trump announced Friday, April 13, that combined armed forces of the US, United Kingdom, and France have conducted precision strikes in Syria, following the chemical weapons attack in Douma that reportedly killed dozens of people.

The airstrikes were directed to condemn the further deadly attacks by the Syrian government led by Bashar al-Assad against its own people.

"I ordered the United States armed forces to launch precision strikes on targets associated with the chemical weapon capabilities of Syrian dictator of Bashar al-Assad," Trump said.

"We are prepared to sustain this response until the Syrian regime stops its use of prohibited chemical agents," he added.

READ: US, allies launch military strikes vs Syria

The DFA said all personnel of the Philippine Embassy in Damascus led by Chargé d’Affaires Crescente Relacion "are safe and accounted for."

It added that the Embassy has been closely checking the condition of Filipinos residing in Damascus and other affected areas, amid the missile strikes.

"The Embassy has been contacting members of the Filipino Community to check their situation since the missile strikes began around 4 am Damascus time," the DFA said.

"The Philippine Embassy in Damascus also has not received any requests for assistance from any of the estimated 500 Filipinos in Damascus and the other 500 in other parts of Syria. (SunStar Philippines)

VIEW COMMENTS